Director of Academic Innovation
Buena Vista University has an opening for the Director of
Academic Innovation located in Storm Lake, Iowa. The Director of
Academic Innovation oversees the human and technological resources
tied to the development and delivery of technology-based learning
at Buena Vista University. This individual will work closely
with the Provost and academic deans to oversee online and hybrid
course development; institution-wide utilization of the learning
management system for teaching, learning, and assessment;
scheduling and staffing of online and distance learning classes;
and faculty development related to effective use of
technology. The Director of Academic Innovation oversees a
5-6-member team which includes instructional technologists,
instructional designers, and a support specialist.
A successful candidate will:
- Work with the provost and academic deans to oversee online and
- Further develop and support a plan for universal utilization of
the institution’s learning management system for things like
assessment, teaching, and learning.
- Work with the provost to develop and oversee the Academic
Innovation division budget.
- Work with the Director of General Education and the Director of
Assessment and Faculty Development to ensure online and hybrid
courses are in alignment with institutional learning outcomes and
- Work with the academic deans to ensure online and hybrid
courses are in alignment with programmatic learning outcomes and
- Maintain the faculty orientation course in Canvas and the
Adjunct Faculty Handbook.
- Review adjunct faculty applications and assist the academic
deans with the hiring of adjuncts.
- Work with the academic deans and the Director of Assessment and
Faculty Development to identify and implement programs that support
faculty development in areas related to teaching with technology as
well as online and hybrid teaching, including the annual adjunct
- Manage the number of online and hybrid course offerings each
term to meet the enrollment needs of the students.
- Provide guidance for faculty and students when course issues
arise, handling technology-based issues and steering academic
content and teaching-related issues to the appropriate dean.
- Understand the academic catalog and its policies related to
academic programs and engage in faculty governance meetings where
academic policies are discussed and developed or modified.
- Oversee the hiring of instructional designers by spring of 2020
and oversee the transition from using outsourced instructional
designers to in-house instructional designers by the summer of
- Oversee the institution’s participation in online course
- Carry out other similar and related duties and responsibilities
as directed by your supervisor.
A master's degree is required with a minimum of 3-5 years’
experience in a leadership or managerial position in Education,
Business, or related field is preferred. Knowledge and
understanding of distance learning is required, experience with
online course design or teaching is desired and familiarity with
Quality Matters is a plus.
A background check will be conducted on the final candidate.
Location/Region: Storm Lake, IA (50588)