Director - Student Union and Event Services
The Director of the Student Union and Event Services works to
ensure that the auxiliary services on campus provide outstanding
customer service while maximizing business opportunities for the
College that align with strategic goals. Auxiliary services
currently include the campus bookstore, dining services, vending
services, One Card Service Center, Postal Services, ATM machines,
Facilities Scheduling and Student Union operations and other
miscellaneous contract services. The Director of the Student Union
and Event Services reports directly to the Associate Vice President
of Finance & Administration and is a member of the Finance and
Administration team while working closely with leadership in many
departments including Student Affairs.
• Bachelor’s degree with emphasis in business administration,
financial management or related field.
• Experience in negotiating contracts and working with external
• Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively
with college faculty, staff, students and community members. •
Ability to effectively communicate ideas and information in written
and oral format.
• 5 years of current, relevant experience.
• 3 years of progressively responsible supervisory experience in
facility operations and management, including experience with
supervision, delegation, training and evaluation of personnel.
• Master’s degree with emphasis in business administration,
financial management, or related field.
• CASP designation
• 10 years of current, relevant experience
• Bilingual – Spanish and/or tribal languages
• Demonstrated and proven ability to work with diverse and
• Directs the day-to-day operation and maintenance of the
• Responsible for hiring, training, evaluating, professional
development and direct supervision of Student Union and Event
• Oversees all contract services to include campus dining,
campus bookstore, vending and post office. Including the
development of contracts/contract language, negotiation,
implementation, tracking, performance monitoring, coordination of
contract revenue, and compliance.
• Establish and maintain strong business relationships and
rapport with vendor/partners, department heads and key
• Works closely with the AVP Finance & Administration to
interpret the directives of senior leadership to enhance the
quality of life of the College community, while expanding resources
to support the institution's financial stability and growth.
• Develops new programs and expands services offered within
existing programs including the identification of contractual,
partnership, and shared service opportunities.
• Maintains a proactive role in providing excellent services to
students, faculty, staff and other members of the internal and
external communities including resolution of customer service
• Maintains annual budget and applies fiscal and budgetary
planning techniques within financial constraints. Monitors all
• Analyzes and evaluates financial performance of student union
functions including institutional support and contract
• Employs innovative and entrepreneurial methods to ensure
sustainable expense and revenue management.
• Recommends and administers operational policies, procedures
and processes in support of auxiliary services operation;
implements and monitors compliance with approved policies,
procedures, and processes.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
The work environment characteristics described here are
representative of those that an employee can expect while
performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities
to perform the essential functions. • Moderate noise (i.e. business
office with computers, phone, and printers, moderate traffic). •
Ability to work in a confined area. • Ability to sit at a computer
terminal for an extended period of time.
Salary range is between $70,000 and $77, 500 plus a
comprehensive benefits package. The anticipated start date is
between May 1st and 31st , 2020.
A complete application packet includes:
• Cover letter addressing interest and qualifications for
position o Include details regarding how your personal and
professional experiences allow you to encourage a learning
environment grounded in equity and inclusion. “How do you envision
contributing to Fort Lewis College’s commitment to equity and
• Names and contact information for three current, professional
Submit materials as one PDF file via email
Subject: Director of Student Union and Event Services
received on or before March 8, 2020 will receive full
consideration. Position will remain open until filled.
The successful candidate
will be required to submit original, official college transcripts,
and pass a background check.
Fort Lewis College does not
discriminate on the basis of race, age, color, religion, national
origin, gender, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity,
gender expression, political beliefs, veteran status, pregnancy, or
genetic information. Accordingly, equal opportunity for employment,
admission, and education shall be extended to all persons. The
College shall promote equal opportunity, equal treatment, and
affirmative action efforts to increase the diversity of students,
faculty, and staff. The College is dedicated to building a
culturally diverse and pluralistic faculty and staff committed to
teaching and working in a multicultural environment; applications
from underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged.
Any person with a disability as
defined by the ADA Amendments Act of 2008 (ADAAA) may be provided a
reasonable accommodation upon request to enable the person to
complete an employment assessment. To request an accommodation,
please contact Kristin Polens by phone 970-247-7459 or email
email@example.com at least five business days before the
assessment date to allow us to evaluate your request and prepare
for the accommodation. You may be asked to provide additional
information, including medical documentation, regarding functional
limitations and type of accommodation needed. Please ensure that
you have this information available well in advance of the
Location/Region: Durango, CO (81301)